Thursday, January 26, 2006

Catch up

Had a great day today, catching up with people. The only one I haven't really seen is Nathan!

Esther called me at about 11, and Kelly, she and I went to the craft market, then Spotlight, then Mum and Dad's. I think we spent 4 hours wandering craft shops ;-) which is easy to do. The family had a bbq, but I left because I was already going out for tea. I bought myself a new t-shirt (as my shirt was a bit scruffy) so I wouldn't have to go home, and went to GC's instead. It was a dinner for me, on my "retirement"!

Lots of people from work turned up! Well, they'd reserved the table, of course, and there were 12 people there: Louise (the boss), Wendy (formerly we worked on the "Blood transfusion" portfolio together, in light of which she's given me a job one day in February!), Liz (patchwork queen), Lynn (whose house I went to last week for a good-old Craft Day), Lyn (one of my favorites in charge, who's just started working only 2 days a week), Debbie (fellow movie-goer), Nola (who paid for my meal and a glass of champagne!), Steve (who's on holidays but came anyway), Gail (still having treatment for cancer but looks fantastic), Fiona (a former grad who's not even on our ward any more), and Jacqui (who worked a late shift and then came after work for a drink... until 11:30!)

It was so great chatting to them all, especially Gail. It was wonderful to hear about the annoying new computer program they have to use, the doctors that annoy them, the conversations with dementia patients ("I am Thor!!" one said today, with an imaginary lightning bolt in his fist!) and all the stuff that goes on at work. I laughed and laughed and laughed. But it did remind me how much of the stressful stuff I've already forgotten. Some days I think to myself, "I miss work", but it's the people I miss, not the politics, early mornings, angry visitors and 10km of walking up and down the hall each day.

I don't think I'll ever have to work there full-time again, and that makes me feel good!

Yesterday I read a book from 5 am to 1 am. I stopped to go for a walk and to have meals. I did a little housework. But I spent most of the day reading until I finished the book! This is the life.

Tomorrow I'm going into town, as I do every Thursday, but I have barely any jobs to do, so I'm going to see a movie (Nanny McPhee), which Debbie recommends, and get the groceries.

Everyone at dinner kept commenting on how relaxed I look. Probably because I've lost all those stress wrinkles and I'm not frowning and moaning all the time ;-)


..oooO................
..(.....).............
...\...(..Oooo........
....\__)..(.....).....
............).../.....
...........(__/.......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woohoo TamBam - I didn't realise you were a flybaby too! I'm so proud of you! :)

Alrischa said...

Yep, flyBABY, alright.